Ryann Castro

Saturday, December 26, 2015

The Day After Christmas

Image is from The Seventh Seal Movie and it is not mine. NO copyright infringement intended
The day after Christmas is called Boxing Day, is a secular holiday that is traditionally celebrated on 26 December, the day after Christmas. 26 December is also St. Stephen's Day, a religious holiday. But for me and some, it is a day that we lost a good man.

His name is Lester.

Photo of Lester courtesy of Caramat Bien Elly

I don't have that much information of what happened to him. I can't tell you how and why so sudden, but I can tell you how he lived as I know him. Let me tell you how I've come to know him in a very short time.

How we met.


We met during our high school days with me being on my senior years and him on a lower year in a province where we somehow share our roots in Nueva Vizacaya. He has my attention and he got mine as well the first time we came face to face with each other. We had a common understanding of how we see and speak about things. Maybe because we're both raised from the cities and became outcasts due to our delinquent educational status or maybe...just maybe...we're just regular guys.

We did a lot of things together like tattoos, cook, go back and forth from their house to mine while talking nonsense and screwing around people we know and we were good drinking buddies. We had a common brand of liquor in a time where the younger generation and some of ours see us as the new breed of drinking machines. We pretty much do stupid things and we like it that way as long as nobody gets hurt and we don't violate the law of God. But somehow in the process of our personal growth, we did violate some law of man, but its nothing serious. We even made the parish church in our locale our own music studio with him (Lester) as the lead guitarist, Aries as the bassist and yours truly as the dumb drummer playing to the tune of our own rendition of "High School Life," a song originally made popular by the not so popular anymore Dina Bonnevie. He even introduced me to a friend of him from the place where Lester is from though I can't remember his name but he looks much like the Lead Vocalist of a band called "Side A" named "Joey".

Tricycles, Waves and Horns


We kept close and thick as brothers until I graduated and I need to go back to the high city (Baguio). Lester was left to finish his studies as I struggle to readjust to the urban life and living. During some of my vacations that I spent in Dupax Del Norte, Nueva Vizcaya that I can't remember what year, while standing beside the road in front of our old family house, he buzzes me with the horn of the tricycle he's riding, looks at me while passing by, smiles until he can't turn his head back and needs to focus on the road, but he never stops. When he comes back from the other direction, he just buzzes me with the horns and just waves, but still he never stopped by. I never had the chance to talk to him.

The Friend Invite


It's been a while since we've seen or talk to each other...years. Then came the social media age. Yup, Friendster was already a thing of the past. Hindi naman kami ganon ka-tanda ano! Of course FB din. So he sent me a friend invite. We have a lot of common friends so maybe my scarred faced pop-up in his feeds. In short, OO tinanggap ko friend request niya! We had a casual kamustahan and catching up chat. So, that was it, we came to know that we're both married. Didn't bother to ask him to whom baka mali yung hula ko eh may magalit at mag-tanong LoL. So we kept our coms to sporadic private messages to stay up to date for future plans.

The Last Drop By


Yeah, we kept each other updated on our daily life, say once, twice or so a month. Then finally, I got a chance to go out of the country to pursue my personal reasons. On the last day of processing my papers, I texted him after a long time that I haven't. Hell yeah, it was my first time to text his number LoL. To my surprise, he replied faster than I expected and he was a busy man because it was still working hours by then. So we met at his work place at a JRS Branch near Araneta. So finally, after five, six or more than years that we could remember, we finally met. What then were rascals are now full grown men. Lester took me out for lunch near his work place and he did paid for it as always. We catch up on life and things.

Last time with Lester

The Unexpected


Afternoon of December 26, 2015, I ignored most of the feeds with Lester being tagged and not reading what was written and posted with it. Then I notice a familiar three-letter acronym. I really couldn't believe it. Shocked? That's an understatement. I cried man...I really couldn't believe it...A couple of days before he just sent me a message...

Last Message

Lester, you left us so soon brother, but you also left us with good memories. Yes, the last time we met, I can say were no longer what was once we were. Like me, in your own right you have proven much more, you crossed the boundary of what separates the men from the boys, and that is RESPONSIBILITY. To you brother, to us and those like us, a toast for the short time you've given me to know you and to be part of your life. Forever, I will be grateful of your friendship and our brotherhood. May the Lord Almighty keep you and may you watch over us. Rest In Peace Brother.

God Speed Lester

God Speed Lester

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts about my blog. Will get back to you as soon as I can. ~ Ryann