Ryann Castro

Thursday, September 4, 2014

24th Hour

24th Hour

It has been eight months since I arrived here at Diego Garcia, British Indian Ocean Territory to work as one of the Dispatch personnel for the Fire and Emergency Services. At first, things are kinda new to me. I have to get familiar with the protocols, SOP's and technology used. I have worked for a similar local agency back home then, but as soon as I recall the procedures, I got used to the new system in no time.

Things are more conventional here and by the book since safety is the main priority in everything from work place, environment and to everyday routine at the barracks. What got my attention though is their dependence on equipment and resources, since they don't operate here without proper personal protective equipment or P.P.E.'s. and the tools and equipment they need. Not that my ignorance kicked in but let's say its a bit new to me since back home, I'm accustomed to operating with barely nothing to minimal or handful of tools, equipment and P.P.E.'s, most of which are personal property. On the aspect of safety, I understood before coming here that in any case, God forbid, that if a person got injured badly at work or at shelter and requires immediate or specialized equipment to address his/her needs, there is no facility here that can provide the care a patient needs. The patient is then transported to Singapore via medevac leer jet and would endure a few more hours of pain before receiving immediate care at that country.

Crash and Rescue Station, Fire Station 2

Documentation is also emphasized here specially in my line of work where almost everything is documented from training to job performance to communications. What I understand about this is that its all about accountability. Everyone here is responsible for his/her own actions and failure to perform duties and responsibilities constitutes a corresponding disciplinary action if not termination. Part of the job qualification is certification of a certain level of skill, I won't emphasize nor discuss about it here, its kinda the basis of your pay grade to sum it up.

Life is simple here, work, barracks and vice-versa. Everything seems monotonous and routine here till you feel bored and later home sickness strikes. So one must find a way to break the monotony of everyday life here at the Island. There are few places one can visit and few things one can do like go fishing which is what most men here do, go wind surfing or swimming at the Marina. The Ship Store has few things that might interest you aside from your basic grooming and hygiene essentials. Haircut is free at the barber shop and the tailoring shop is located next door for your tailoring needs. There's an outdoor theater where you can watch some of the late or latest films. There's an Island pool about 25m in length or so if you get tired of sea water. Some dining facilities that serve way far from the usual menu of the BOSC Galley. There are few clubs where you can hang out with friends or workmates if you get tired drinking or partying at the barracks or if you feel like losing some money for a change of venue. Well, its up to a person actually how he/she spends his free time to break the monotony of work environment.


24th hour, kinda signals me of either six more hours before I get out of work when I'm on graveyard shift for 12 hours, or that I got a few more hours of sleep before I go back to work when I'm on day shift. It either gives you a sign of relief or pressure. Anyways, as of this writing, I still have fifteen months more from a total of 24 months or two years to spend working here before rotation or should I say vacation. Its my first time abroad and that far away from my family and I sure miss them but I always keep in mind they are the reason why I am here in the first place. Its for them, and always for them. Yes, home sickness does bother me, but its just a matter of keeping myself busy and occupied. Time flies fast here on the Island, I didn't even noticed it.

...and before I forgot, don't bother asking me what's in this Island, I'm not in liberty to talk about it but you can google it.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts about my blog. Will get back to you as soon as I can. ~ Ryann